Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hello, my name is Jenny

I attended the University of Alaska Anchorage for several years before transferring to the University of Alaska Fairbanks where I will finish my degree this winter.


I work at KNBA in Anchorage. We're an Alaska Native owned and operated public radio station. I'm currently producing a four-part series about Native perspectives on 50 years of Alaska statehood.


Last fall I spent 4 months living and studying Arabic in Meknes, Morocco. When I travel, which seems to be all too often the past few years, I keep a blog.


I have a YouTube account that you can check out. There are several videos from Morocco. A few of them are graphic (sheep slaughter for Eid al Adha), so don't say I didn't warn you. And this is where you can listen to me being serious about important things.


This past May I traveled to St. Petersburg, Florida where I participated in The Poynter Institute's College Fellowship. While there I started a website that will soon have multi-platform stories about home. There's one story there now. I plan to flesh it out after we return from Iraq. Oh, right, about Iraq...


... I've always wanted to go. So when the e-mail came in April about the opportunity to embed I was, well, surprised. Surprise transformed into excitement when I found out that I'd be going. Excitement became hesitation after I realized that I would have to take two months off of work and vacate my beloved apartment. Hesitation soon passed and then I got the itinerary for a flight to Kuwait city.


I'm back to being excited. July 17-18 I will be in Culver City, CA at NPR's west coast studios for their Impact of War training workshop.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny your words make Iraq come to life here in Alaska, its like we're right there with you.
    Take care of yourself and come home safe.
    We all love you. Albert & Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a few college students online from college of University of Alaska Anchorage and we love your blog postings, so well add your rss or news feed for them, Thanks and please post us and leave a comment back and well link to you. Thanks Jen , Blog Manager, University of Alaska Anchorage

    ReplyDelete